Dragonrider

Prolog

The city Yakazu, capital of the kingdom with the same name, lies exactly between the sea and the spurs of the Storm Mountains on this side of the large desert. This situation, blessed simultaneously with a protected small natural port and on feet of the only good mountain passes, makes it rich. So rich, that this city can afford the luxury of an own king, of a great bazaar and of regular wars with envious neighbors.
Every caravan from the south must ship its goods here. Every trader from the north can unload and resell his goods virtually only here.
As often, market does not only bring fortune but also pulls dangers with it. Nonetheless weighted differently by everyone. The arrogant customs officer who try to receive the best pieces from every shipment or the port guardians whose main aim it is to either blackmail trader or to provide them with whores of both gender are annoying, disturbing too sometimes, however they are not dangerous. The shadows in the night, which creep around drunken traders and sailors like vultures until they suddenly strike are already something else. Some only take that what they want to have - purses, jewelry, maybe good clothing or shoes for themselves. Others also take the life of their victims.
The last ones are not held in good respect, not even among their kind. One kills no booty, which would be able to return, and which would be able to be plundered once again - it is regarded as bad style. That is indeed no great comfort but the number of the dead nevertheless holds itself into boundaries, maybe 4 per moon. In a matched manner with approx. 50 robbed persons it is relatively harmless.
And then there are the gangs. Military organized and very effectively the ones, a wild, unbridled pile the others. They are the true danger because they have the control of the passes of the Storm Mountains. In the mountains there are thousands hiding places, an army could hide in them. The gangs strike fast, rob, plunder what they can get and withdraw again. Some leave only dead behind, the others are satisfied with the goods.

One of the gangs is especially brave. The people talk about it as the "Fog" - this gang is just as bad to trace and catch as fog clouds. They board the merchant ships by means of boats even in the night and fetch directly especially sought after booty for themselves from there - gold, ivory, pearls, silk. It is well organized, their chief is unknown, there are only rumors about him. He should be big, white hair, blue eyes and a perfect body - too good to be true. He is very feared although or just because he does virtually never kill. His plans are simply too brilliant and too risky. Well, no one could ever take him prisoner  - or even see him really ...
Others are better known. Ikaru of the black tigers, a giant of figure is very cruelly, cold as a dog snout. He leads the tallest troop and is the most unrelenting one also. Even traders who offer ransom survive the acquaintance with him rarely.
The red-haired Linus who looks so harmless. His gang strikes again and again fast on the pass height and retires just as fast again. He is courageous, not as cruelly as Ikaru. People who surrender are lucky most times.
There are another dozen further gangs, and even more thieves who work alone. All use either the tempest mountains as a cover or hide themselves in the catacombs of the city.
Yakazu is by the way just as known for the skilled thieves and the beautiful dancers - what means a lot, because the girls are really pretty.
Many fugitives came into the city Yakazu, because of the bad harvest in this year and together with a revolt of the desert nomads they increase the numbers of gangs. The assaults increased in such a way, that king Boltis, normally a rather calm representative of the royal line, decided to reach through hard.

"That is not your seriousness! It can not be!" "Yes, it is. The mob must be stopped. I decided to sign on the Dragonriders and your complaining will not keep me away from that." The king, a otherwise good-natured man with well-rounded proportions, sits on the throne with crimson face. His consultant runs against his habit hectically through the hall. "But sire, the dragon riders are expensive, alone the food of the dragons costs a property. And the city guards won't be happy, the men will feel passed over." "The riders don't cost as much as the assaults of the cursed gangs. In addition, the Name of our city is on the game as commercial posts. What shall I say to the people, if only every third caravan passes the mountains without losses? And what concerns the guards: If they would be good enough, I wouldn't need outside aid. It is decided: I will ask the emperor for aid of his elite, he will send some of his people. And those will solve our problem, I am sure of that at least!" King Boltis chases his counselor out and calls for a writer. He wants to lose no more time now.

Six beautiful, big Dragons land elegant onto the castle courtyard eight days later.

And that is the point, where it starts to become really interesting .......