Chapter 4

Some time later, the sun is already about to set, a group of men ride into the camp.
They receive a hero's welcome and from the look of it, they deserve nothing less. Koji and his men are heavily loaded, they laugh and shout full of enthusiasm. They carry fine pottery, good furs, grain sacks, fabrics, dried meat, salt and - a big pig. Koji also has a full wineskin in front of his saddle.
The whole tribe gathers around the group, voices sum with excitement. Tonight, there will be a real feast, maybe the last before spring.
Koji jumps from his horse, he throws the wineskin over his shoulder.
"How has it been, Koji? Any difficulties?"
Koji turns to Hirose.
"Nothing. As soon as we stormed in the village, they ran like rabbits for shelter. We could take all we wanted. A few archers were around, we just rode them down. We lost no one and they have not lost a life either."
"Great, good message. Have you been followed?"
Koji laughs: "They were busy enough collecting their bones. We drove their few horses widely apart, so they have to chase them by foot. Before dawn, they will not pursue us - we have lots of time."
In the meantime, the pig is slaughtered and hung over the fire. It is amazing, how fast the bounty is partitioned. The goods belong to the fighters, the food to the whole tribe.
Koji takes his share and steps into his tent. Izumi looks at him.
On one hand, he is glad to see Koji healthy, on the other, he is angry about the raid. He recognizes the sign on the wineskin. It belongs to the chief's family.
Koji notices his look. He packs his share to the other bundles and drops the wineskin beside the sleeping-place.
"If you are relieved, we killed nobody, there was no one hurt either. Your people are really no fighters, they preferred to run and hide. We took what we needed but I am sure, there is enough left. In fact, mainly we plundered just one big storage. Is this your chief's sign?"
Izumi relaxes. Only one storage and only the chief's one. That means, the hidden food stocks remained untouched. A luck that it has been a very good season for hunters and farmers. His tribe will have enough to eat until spring, the chief will just not be able to give some of his opulent feasts to show his wealth. And he grants his chief the loss of his goods. He literally sold his daughter to a trader as wife in summer and got so conceited about what he called "a good deal" that the tribe wondered whom he would sell next.
"Well, I never accepted him. In his eyes, hunters have no real value, especially a stubborn brat like me. What ever kind of fruit wine this is, it will be delicious."
Koji smiles. He was kind of worried about Izumi's reaction.
Even though they are fighters, they rarely use brutal force. They do not need it, farmers run for shelter as soon as they see them. The villagers have no real defense against horsemen.
It is different, when horsemen are followed by archers or trapped. Then also a farmer can be dangerous. The trick is to stay out of reach and move fast.
Koji is highly spirited. He loosens Izumi's ties.
"Your tribe sponsored the feast, you will celebrate with us."
Izumi barely manages to put his clothes on, he is pushed out of the tent and to a big fire.
The pork smells great, the people around him eat, drink and celebrate.
He feels insecure and tries to be invisible. No luck, several eyes look at him, someone puts a dish with pork into his hand. They do not talk much to him, but Izumi feels examined and is really eased when Koji takes him back to the tent.
They settle on the furs and Koji grabs for the wineskin. They share the skin between them until Izumi lays back. The sweet blackberry wine goes directly to his head, he feels slightly tipsy.
Koji grins like a loon. No way to waste such an opportunity.
His mouth presses on soft lips, hands bare a sleek chest. Izumi struggles, a hand presses his wrist down. Koji sucks at his neck, leaving red marks on several spots. He meets little resistance, Izumi's protests and wiggles are only halfhearted. Maybe he is too drunk for more.
Koji manages to strip off Izumi's clothes, he kisses deeper, relishing silk skin. Izumi trembles under him, moaning.
When Koji could not bear it any longer, he pushes his legs up and enters him. Hmm, so tight. Strong legs seize around his waist and pull him deeper. Koji bends down in a tight embrace, devours a soft mouth and feels Izumi's member pressed against his stomach as he moves inside him with deep thrusts, slowly gaining speed as his limit approaches. He feels hot liquid erupt between their bellies, Izumi wrings out a small scream. Moments later, with one last deep thrust, he also reaches his peak. Koji collapses over the boy's body.
When he wakes up to reality again, he entangles himself from Izumi's body and looks down on him. The boy looks exhausted, tired and irresistible cute.
He caresses his cheek gently, rewarded by a small smile. He will miss him.
The thought leaves a sudden pain in his heart.

The morning is ice-cold. Over night, the world became white. The Nomads look at the snowflakes, falling from a gray sky.
Time has run out on them. If they don't reach their winter quarter very soon, they will freeze to death. Tents are not made for the winter storms, cattle cannot survive on frozen ground.
The tribe gathers around Hirose, ready to go. The snow is falling so dense, you can barely see more than a few steps ahead.
After leaving the small hills behind, Hirose looks around helplessly. No landmark, no path, no sign where to go. Not even the sun for direction. He is completely lost - and his tribe realizes it.
They are getting worried. If they choose a false way, death is sure. The situation is serious and it is clear that their leader is unable to ease it - Koji bows down to Izumi. He did not tie him to the horse this time, he considered it unnecessary.
"Do you know the way across the plain? Can you find it even now?"
Izumi notices the concern in Koji's eyes, he nods.
"I can lead you to the river. This place is my home, I will be damned if a little snowstorm annoys me."
He steps aside and lifts his head in the wind. Snowflakes melt on his skin. Cold wind beats his face. With a feeling - or maybe an instinct - only wild animals and hunters have, he knows the right direction and turns to it. Koji follows.
The tribespeople followed their conversation and slowly, one by one, they join them. Hirose and Akihito are the last.
The next hours, the whole tribe is completely at one man's mercy - and they know it. The flakes thicken during the day, people and horses sink down to their knees in fresh snow.
Hirose fears for his leadership. If Koji's guest is successful, his authority will be gone or, at least, damaged. If he is not, they are dead. Lost in his thoughts, he notices a tree in front of him too late. Hirose barely prevents impaling himself on a branch.
"Trees?", There are no trees on this side of the river, except for a few near it, creating a small, green band in summer.
"Have they made it?"
His questions are answered, when Koji calls out and points ahead. The sound of running water becomes clear. The river lies only a few steps ahead of them.