Part 3

 

Fascinated I watch Taku playing soccer on the field. The place is crowded, a lot of school boys and girls are there and watch, excited. Today, there is a great match against an uptown school - and it seems, that our little one is becoming the hero of the neighborhood. He has scored three times already and the other players just don't know how to stop him. They fouled him two times, even bad, but he always stands up and goes on. His eyes burn with a bright fire, his moves are fast as lightning, his body's graceful - I nearly forget to breathe.

Taku has recovered well, at least physically.
He shows his old, bright self only on the soccer field; except for that, he just endures living with Koji. It seems, that Taku has detached himself as far as possible from his environment and the people around him, not showing any emotions during our daily life. Koji watches him playing soccer and I can feel his suffering inside.

"He is great!"  I glace sidelong.

Koji just stares at him with that look on his face.
"Mhmm."
His hands open and close as if he was holding someone.
"His teammates will surely want to celebrate afterwards. What do you think, shall we pick him up later?"
Koji turns his head slowly towards me and finally nods thoughtfully. "Yes, he would like that. An hour or so should be fine."
The match is over.
For the first time in the history of this town, the upper school got beaten by us downtown rats. The faces of the pretty boys in their expensive label clothing are dark while we - in torn jeans, old T-shirts and out of fashion shoes, celebrate on the field.
As Taku hears about Koji's decision, he is surprised. A soft light sparkles in his eyes, a light I haven't seen in a long time.
"That's a good idea, the boys are already wondering why I never stay after a match. When I come home, I'll cook something, okay?"

It's the first time that he has called our house 'home'. Koji just smiles, I can feel him shiver inside. He looks like he has to hold himself back by force not to grab Taku into his arms and kiss him senseless.

We drive back, though not without leaving a guard behind. Kimie gets the duty to watch over Taku. He doesn't attract attention and hides himself perfectly even in a crowded street. Koji may let Taku catch a little air, but he'd never risk anything around him.
Not even half an hour later, we've just settled ourselves in the seats, a breathless Kimie storms into our living room (well, kind of - it's the only room in our house with a couch and a TV).
"They hunt him! Hurry up, we've got to do something!"
Koji shakes him by the shoulders. "Who is hunting and why?"
Kimie swallows hard. "Some uptown boys hunt Takuto on their motorbikes. They said, they wanted to screw him. Taku is doing his best to outrun them, but with their bikes, they are just faster..."
"And you let him alone?!" Koji shoves Kimie aside and storms out. Moments later we are all on our bikes and on the way to rescue our family member.

The alley is narrow, dark and dirty. Taku has made it barely into downtown, but he took a wrong turn in his attempt to escape his hunters. Now he's reached a dead end. Slowly, he turns around, back against the solid stonewall which is blocking his way out.

The Uptown boys have him cornered. Five motorbikes roll through the alley, positioning themselves in an semicircle around him. Their leader addresses him mockingly.
"Now, you are quite a runner, aren't you? Well, when we are finished, you'll be lucky if you are still able to crawl. That will teach you and the other loosers a lesson. Now, fall on your knees and beg - maybe we go easy on you, boy."
Taku just stands and stares at them. He shows no fear, just anger. His eyes glitter brightly and his whole body is tense. The uptown boys laugh and call him names. "Pretty boy, ain't talking much. Wanna show what your mouth else can do?"
They move closer.

Unfortunately for them, we have used our time to block their exit in turn and get into position. There is an unspoken law: Never move as downtown boy into uptown, if you don't have business there. Never step into downtown, when you are an uptown citizen, except you want to spend money. The both parts of town just exist side by side, but their citizens never mix.

Their leader is just about to make his move as Koji makes his. He throws a wire with a weight at one end and drags the other's bike down. The boy crashes to the ground, taking several of his friends with him in a whole heap of falling bikes and cursing boys.

Koji steps out of the shadows, his walk is as energetic like a cat's walk on the prowl. The air sizzles around him. One of the boys gets pale. Their leader shouts angrily at him.
"Who do you think, you are? I'll have you bleed for that! The bike was brand new!!"
Koji just steps to Taku, totally ignoring this rich brat. He looks him deep in the eyes and lifts his chin gently with one hand. "Are you all right?"
The boy just nods. Koji places his hands on Taku's shoulders, moving him behind his own body. Now he turns to the pile of ragged expensive clothes and damaged expensive bikes.  "You don't know the rules, rich boy. You are way out of league here. Maybe we should teach you some manners."

I nearly can't wait! I might not be the bravest one, but if I just think about the things, they could have do to our little soccer hero ...

You know something? If you want to be really screwed, then just insult, or worse hurt, the most gentle and innocent member of a bad neighborhood gang in front of their eyes. Never try this except you want to commit suicide and don't know how to do it.

We wait impatiently for Koji's sign. Kyoichiro is nearly salivating, he plays with his knife all the time. The tension rises high, until it's nearly unbearable. The Uptown boys have finally noticed us. Suddenly, they smell of fear. It's like a sweet drug, pushing our blood higher, awaking our senses, something anybody has had since the begin of mankind, dark, devouring, full of bloodlust.
Taku shivers. He feels our mood and tries to calm us. "They haven't hurt me. Don't do anything stupid."
He is taken into two strong arms, a light kiss is placed on his neck.

"Don't be afraid, we'll just teach them a little lesson." Koji releases him and hands him over to Kimie. "Bring him home and stay with him. We'll follow soon."
As soon as the two have vanished, Koji gives the sign.

With an excited, terrible war-cry, we are over them.


It's already late in the afternoon when we come back to our home. There is laughing and chattering - we really enjoyed ourselves this time. You don't often have the opportunity to humiliate some of those rich boys. We weren't that bad anyway - they had to undress and we'd send them home running without their bikes, clothes and their pride - they didn't have much of that left after the little games they had to play with each other in front of our eyes.
One thing is for sure - they'll never set a foot in downtown again!

Dinner is already done, Taku has made some tasty curry-rice. I love that. We all devour the food eagerly and even Taku tries a few bites. After dinner, he wants to vanish into bed. Koji just catches him, before he even reaches the stairs. "Where do you think you are going? There is a movie tonight, you'll watch it with me."
The blackhaired boy sighs quietly. "It's been a very long day and I'm really tired. Can't I ..."
"No. Sit down here." Koji pats the place beside him on the couch. For a second, Taku hesitates. Then he sits slowly down next to Koji. It seems, that he learned a few lessons up to now.

Somehow, it dampens my mood and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
The movie starts. Mostly, we watch, but not very interested. Some other things are just more thrilling.

Maybe the way, Koji sneaks his arm behind Taku's back. Or how he very carefully pulls him close as Taku becomes sleepy. It doesn't take long and the boy is halfway sleeping on the couch.

Now Koji's plan becomes clear: He drags his favorite toy (read: his only love) close, tenderly placing his head on his shoulder.

All the while he strokes Taku's hair and touches, just with his fingertips, those beautiful suntanned cheeks. Taku murmurs something in his sleep but because he's very tired or maybe because of the soft caresses, he doesn't wake up.
Koji smiles dreamingly. He digs his nose into the soft hair and takes a deep breath of Taku's scent. It seems like he never can get enough of him.

Finally, he stands up and lifts his lover (although Koji and Takuto would deny this most vehement) in his arms. He turns to the stairs and I hastily open the door for him. Koji looks at me for a long moment.

I swallow a little.
He is my friend, perhaps my only one and I'm very alone most of the time lately and Taku is so beautiful.
Suddenly, a soft smile, normally only reserved for the beauty in his arms, shows on his face. His look is tender, almost mockingly so. "Wanna join?"

I can't answer. He isn't expecting me to because Koji already carries Taku upstairs, careful not to wake him up. I follow  them like in trance.
He is so caring towards his Izumi...

Suddenly, an old image appears in my mind: Taku kneeling on the floor, barely catching himself with tied hands. He is covered with stripes, blood tickling down his whole body. Koji, standing behind him, the heavy, now bloody belt, with which he whipped him, still in his hands.
It was the day of the accident.
I bite my lower lip to force this picture out of my mind.
What if this day had never occurred? What, if Koji had been Taku's gentle lover all the time ?