Part 6

The next moment, I hear the sound of a heavy motorbike approaching. Seconds later, Koji climbs from his machine. He quickly looks over the situation and our group. Instantly, I'm being grabbed at the shoulders and shaken.

"Shibuya, where is Izumi?"
I look at him, tears roll over my face.
"But Koji - you've got the keys!"

The tall boy looks at me, his blue eyes wide open.
Realization hits him like a hammer.
I'm shoved aside.
Without hesitation, without another word, Koji storms past the shocked firemen, knocks everyone in his way down to the ground and enters the burning house.

We wait anxiously.
Seconds stretch into hours, minutes into months.
The chief fireman watches the house with clenched teeth, he holds his men ready to act if they see something. It seems that, despite his cruel words, he doesn't want to watch a boy's death.
Still the gang stares at the house, we barely dare to breathe.
After several minutes - they feel like an eternity -  a person climbs out of a window in the 4th floor and drags another behind. Takuto seems only semiconscious. Both balance over the small ledge just beneath the window. All the while Koji holds Taku with one arm, supporting him.
The firemen instantly get their jumping sheet ready to catch them. Despite of the danger - by now the house is burning completely and at any time parts of the roof can fall down - they take position under the two boys.
I might be wrong, but I could have sworn that the smaller figure has put his hand into that of the other, just before they take that last step forward.

They jump. Both boys land unharmed as far as I can see, especially Koji is fine exept for some bruises. Taku coughs heavily, it seems he's got smoke poisoning. The firemen swarm around them and get them away from the house.
The second, they let them go, Taku rushes upon Koji. He calls him stupid and crazy and hits him with both fists and finally, breaks down and cries.
Koji holds him close, whispers soothing words and tries his best to comfort him until the doctors take him to the hospital again.

The ambulance was already waiting - I really think, that the chief is much nicer then he wants to seem. Otherwise, he wouldn't have called it in advance.
Koji can't join Taku, so he rushes on his bike after the ambulance and leaves it to me to collect the gang and get everything together. Oh well - I should be used to it by now that he always leaves the nasty work to me .....


A few days later, we visit Taku in the hospital, the doc finally allowed it. Koji has something special for Taku: He has his first single in his pocket - as gift.

The music contest was two days after the fire and to our complete amazement, Koji decided to join Takafumi and his band. Or better: Takafumi was just about to tell the jury that his singer had quit as the Jury Lady asked him about "this handsome young man on stage". Koji called him on the stage, already at the micro. The band was so perplexed, they needed two runs to give the right intro.
But Koji - he was breathtaking. He sung with such a passion, with such emotion - I know that he is a cold-blooded bastard but in that second I was almost literally at his feet, overwhelmed by emotions. I forgave him instantly every cold word, every harsh action and all his uncaring I've ever experienced. And that has been a lot.
In this moment, he shined brighter than anything or anyone else.
In this moment, he was an Idol. And for the first time, I really got the meaning of the word.

The crowd was silent after the song for what seemed an eternity. Then they nearly stormed the stage. We needed security to get safely back.
Koji didn't even twitch. He was absolutely cool and as distant as ever.

I don't overstate when I say: A star was born.

As bonus, Koji asked the studio guys for a record of the song which they gladly delivered.
Somehow I don't get it: All this to get a special gift for his Izumi.

Absolutely Koji.

Now we stand in front of Taku's bed, he seems to be sleeping. It's the first time I see Koji getting nervous. He bows down and kisses Taku on his temple. Just like in a fairy tale, the boy opens his eyes and looks at us.
He is still very weak, the smoke poisoning was serious, but at least he seems to be more alive than before. He even manages a small smile.

I've never seen Koji that shy. He strokes Taku's face most tenderly, barely touching his skin.
All the while I'm chattering. "Hi Taku-chan! How are you? You look much better. When will you leave the hospital? It can't be long, you look so good!"